Friday 15 February 2008

Love and Obsessions


Happy Valentines to one and all!

I know, I know, I know, it's a commerical crock of a day. Its an excuse for card companies to make millions following the post christmas lull. Its a reason for single people to be angry - I was one of those people for far too long.

Growing up, I didn't have boyfriends, not really. There were people I fancied and obsessed about as a teenager - those boys know precisely who they are, subtlety was not my forte! I apologise for my slight stalkerish tendancies! I remember getting a few cards, one year I got a huge bunch of flowers from a strange, penfold-like man who I had met for an hour, two weeks previous - weird. Essentially, Valentines was something that kinda passed me by, apart from those two occaisions in my pre-twenteens.

The first Valentines day I had with a boyfriend was tainted by arguements as I couldn't understand why he would rather go to a 'traffic lights' social at univeristy rather than spend the night with me, his girlfriend. I soon found out as three days later he broke up with me! Apparently wanting to spend time with him was just out of order - I was such a bitch!! Im sure one day I will be cruel enough to publish the 'toothpaste day' about this boy as his cumuppance, but tonight I am in a good mood, I have eaten lots of food!!

So anyway, I am basically still a thirteen year old girl when it comes to Valentine's day, I like to give cheesy cards and I like to get them. I also use it as an excuse to cook!! Valentine's day becomes less about me declaring my love to those around me, but declaring my undying devotion to the one thing that will never leave me; food! I also like to spoil Steve, who did very well this year! Steve 'disagrees' with cards, I have never been given a card for any occaision from Steve. This year in fact was the first year I had christmas presents wrapped in wrapping paper, not random plastic bags he found under the sink! So when I was not only presented with a single red rose, TWO bunches of daffodills (my absolute favourite flowers), a smile and a pink envelope, I was completely over the moon!! Ok, he had already told me that the card was from Card Factory and cost him 30p, ok the envelope blatantly belonged to another card which had obviously been abandonned on another rack, but he had actually bought me a card! I really was happier than when he bought me my silver necklace last year!

But my spoiling today was wonderful! I spoilt myself rotten, and my boy! I like feeding him my creations and seeing his reactions. Tonight I produced a three course dinner, setting the coffee table in a silver service style fashion (one day I will have a dining table - I can dream), and chilling a Jacobs Creek pink bubbly, to really mark the occasision!

Starters - very simple prawn cocktail with homemade marie-rose: Equal parts double craem and mayonnaise (good full fat mayonnaise, only Helmans will do), a squeeze or two of lemon juice and a good squirt of heinz tomato ketchup!

Mains (and I was very proud of this) - Pan fried Duck with pomegranate sauce and celeriac mash. I had never eaten celeriac before, but all the recent duck recipes suggest placing your cut duck pieces on a bed of celeriac, so I did and its actually very nice. After boiling down, I mashed with plenty proper butter and some fresh chopped corriander. The duck was pan fried in butter, skin side down, until beautifully golden, then placed onto a roasting rack in the top of the oven. The sauce, I have to say, was a triumph. After removing the fat from the duck pan, I added some more butter and shallots. I then added equal parts chicken stock and pomegranate juice, a good sprinkling of dried juniper berries and dried pomegranate seeds and salt. This was allowed to reduce while we ate the very 1970s style prawn cocktail (served in a high wine glass), so that the sauce was good and sticky when time to serve. Adding my favourite roast potatoes, carrots and green beans, it was a feats to behold. Steve even said it would rival a restraunt's duck dish - high praise indeed!

Dessert- nearly killed us - Vanilla chocolate Creams. I did make quite a lot, in fact there is enough left for maybe two more desserts each! A cream based, two layered, set dessert that is wonderfully rich!


Vanilla Chocolate Creams


450ml double Cream
Vanilla pod
6 tbspn castor sugar
200ml creme fraiche
3 tbspn water
2 tsp powdered gelatine
50g chocolate (think I actually used more like 75g of dark, continental chocolate)

* Put cream, sugar and split vanilla pod into a pan, heat gently and stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil then allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
* Take off the heat. Remove vanilla pod and stir in creme fraiche.
* Put gelatine in the water (in a different bowl) and allow to go spongy. Heat the water/gelatine in a bowl over hot water (bains marie?) and stir until dissolved.
* Add gelatine to cream mix and stir well.
* Separate cream mix into two equal portions.
* Melt chocolate in a bowl over hot water, then add to one half of the cream mix. Stir well. Pour this mixture into 4 ramekins - I put it into 2 glasses, WAY too much!! Place into fridge to cool for 20 minutes. Leave remainning vanilla cream mix at room temperature.
* When chocolate cream has set, spoon over the reaminning vanilla cream and return to fridge.
* When ready to serve, grate over some extra chocolate, or as I did, add a little grenache!

Diet went well and truly out of the window today! Do I care?! Not in the slightest as I celebrated the greatest love of all - creating dishes I have carefully, lovingly prepared, and have someone (other than me) appreciate and enjoy it. Life to me doesn't get much better than this!

Hope you all had a wonderful day, no matter what.

Nx

No comments: