Saturday 26 January 2008

Food Hangover (and half a stone of waffle)

Well, HOORAY!!!! to me! I hit 12.8 this week. I have lost my first half stone! I have, however, altered my first reward! Instead of having my hair done, I was invited out for a Chinese and drinkies with Cath (not with a K), Rich and a few of their friends. I decided this would be a better alternative - an opportunity to get slightly dressed up and eat duck!!! I am also going to go and see another friends, Ellie in a few weeks and have a 'pampering' weekend. This will mainly involve going to boots and finding some indulgent treats, then putting on a posh dress! In both cases I am far too excited!!

Yesterday all I could think about was chinese food, no matter what I had to do all I could think about was fried rice, noodles and beer! I was marking english books and had to hold back from writing crispy duck pancakes instead of . . . PLEASE START USING FULL STOPS. While teaching table top division, I had to bite my tongue to stop saying prawn crackers! It was a wonderful day, I was aware that I was going to go well over my calorie count, and it made the evening so much more special. The idea that I had 'saved up' so I could have pretty much whatever the hell I wanted, made me feel fantastic.

Yes I ate far too much, yes I had trouble walking afterwards, but my god it was worth it. We went to a place called China Court near the arcadian in Birmingham, and my god it was good. I have to say, I could eat duck pancakes all day every day, I think they are marginally my favourite dish ever! But if you do go, the sizzling steak and the duck with plum sauca is amazing. Also they had a starter which was basically chopped scallops, veg and tiny noodles, eaten in lettuce leaves. It was soooooooooooo yummy!

The draw back of this was on wking this morning. I still felt full, I felt my stomach still had not dropped back to its new, tighter form. Which wasn't made much better by eating vast amounts of popcorn at the cinema this afternoon - went to see Sweeny Todd which is fabulous. I love Johnny Depp anyway, but I thought it was fabulous. Wonderfully dark and gothic in a way only tim burton can deliver. I know some people dispute Johnny's cockney accent, but the fact that he can sing beautifully in that accent was remarkable. I was very impressed and intend on going to see it again when Cie comes to play!

Anyway, even the walk to and from the cinema failed to adjust the heavy feeling I had been carrying around all day. So dinner was thai soup, small prawn based fish cakes (no oil, not even fried) and salad. It was light and refreshing and is starting to make to feel more human. I think I will need to get used to the feeling. If I do go out for dinner, there will be little point having a side salad as it stops it being an occiasion. I think I should go out for food far less, but enjoy it so much more when I do. It makes the idea of food special.

I think this is important. Watching what you eat all day is exhausting. If you can do it for a specific length of time sucessfully, say a month, you should be rewarded with a good meal out - I think it's only fair. Otherwise I think I run the risk of attributing serious lables on food. It will become something I will be unable to do, something that becomes an 'evil'. I wouldn't be able to relax eating out if I didn't treat it as a special thing. I feel like Im waffling now, I know what I mean, I don't think I am saying it too elloquently though. Basically, if you starve yourself completely of something it becomes a fixation. For me, to become fixated on food is dangerous. I have no contol when that fixation takes hold. However, on the flip side, if I think I can't ever go out to eat because of the calorie content, I start losing my love of food. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, tomorrow I plan on having a nice day cooking. I am going to try and make 'nibbles' for the week. I am going to have a go at a couple of nigella recipes, breakfast bars and smoked trout pate. I also want to have a go at making humous. This way I have things I can dip cucumber and carrott in for my lunches this week, and the bars for breakie. I need some variation, yes cereal and soup is undoubedly working for me, but if I continue to eat them week in week out, I will hate them!

Variation is so important, but I do think that comes with a love of food. I can quite confidently have a go at any genre of food (can you use the work genre with food), however, I have never tried Japanese. I recently bought some japanese ingredients and like the way they taste (not so much wasabi) and have found myself dreaming today of making sushi. I can't imagine it's too challenging, so will have a go at some point! That will be another master chef moment!

Hears hoping to feeling less full tomorrow!

Nx

No comments: