Thursday 10 January 2008

Idiocy and an Eggplant (or 2)

(Recipe below)

Well, as said, today is another day, and a much better one at that!

Had a much healthier outlook on life today. I basically stopped being an idiot. I lay in bed last night thinking about all my friends that are having a thoroughly shit time of it at the minute. Some of my friends are having to pretty much start their lives over, everything they knew has had to change. Some people have also recently changed their lives deliberately and are having a really crap time dealing with it. Their problems are so much more than this and they are coping with it with such courage, confidence and with a (sometimes forced) smile on their face. And I was stood mesmerised by bloody chocolate Santa's because I want one more than I should! I was reduced to a jibbering wreck over food!!!! How ridiculous.

I have to maintain my positive mental attitude! The new year started well and yeserday was my first glitch, but I didn't do anything!! I stood my ground, and despite feeling low I did it! But to be honest, it's not really a major challenge, all things considered.


I am off to Newcastle this weekend to see my lovely Cie (http://secondhandshopper.wordpress.com/) tomorrow after school. Only the four bloody hours on the motorway! She's one of my friends thats having a crap time. Without going into too much detail, just before christmas she was faced with the prospect of having to leave her flat, having to quit her job, having to find somewhere new to live, all on her own. The way she has coped with all these issues, and more, over the last few weeks, has been incredible. Yes shes found it hard, but it is all so admirable. I wish I had even half of her motivation and confidence. I am so proud of her and so happy she is such a good friend of mine.

When I spoke to her this evening, she was so upbeat that it shamed me slightly. Pretty much everything in my life is pretty good. I have a wonderful boyfriend, a good set of close friends, a loving family, a house, a good job, great potential job prospects in the future, money (although not much), I do pretty much whatever I like and I'm on the internet winging about the fact that I can't control what I eat. Im quite cross with myself. But I'm sure I will get over it far quicker than I should.

Calorie count today is around 1200 again - with a small bag of malteasers thrown in!!! One of the kids at school bought them for me! How lovely!

Much shorter walk tonight, just a couple of laps around the block, but enough to know I'd actually got off my lazy fat arse!

Tonight, I am going to give you my very simple Thai Green Curry Recipe:-

Thai Green Curry
(serves 2)

1 white onion - or shallots
2 chicken breasts, or a carton of king prawns
2 large spoons of Thai Green paste - see jar (My favourite, strangely enough, is Tesco's own. I have used many and this one has the best balance of flavour)
1 Tbspn light soy sauce
1 tbspn fish sauce
1 dessert spoon lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tin of low fat coconut milk (about 200ml)
3 -4 small egg plant (I get mine from the chinese market in town, they roughly plum sized)
several baby egg plant (again, from the chinese market, they look like peas on a twig!)
small, dried red chillis (usually about 3).

1. Heat the chopped onions in a wok or frying pan with a teaspoon of oil.
2. Add the chicken and brown slightly.
3. put in the paste and stir to coat all ingredients. Leave to cook for a minute or two.
4. Add the soy and fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and coconut milk. Stir well.
5. Slice the baby egg plant and add with the baby egg plant to the curry.
6. allow to simmer for a while. Towards the end of cooking, throw in the dried chillis just to add a little extra spice and colour! If using prawns, add now and allow to warm through.

Nice and easy, but gorgeous! I also adapt this slightly for soup. I would use the whole tin of coconut milk and add about the same of water. I would also add in some kaffir lime leaves. I don't usually include meat when I make soup, but I still eat it with rice! Yummm!!

Might not be able to blog again until next week so will miss putting up my weekly weight on Saturday! Fingers crossed its gone well and I will post it asap!

Have a lovely Friday!

Nx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've made me cry at work. Thank you for your sweet words!

The thing you must remember is not to comapre yourself to others. There are always people you consdier worse off than you, always people who will make your problems feel smaller. As I said to a very close friend who has reentloy started counselling and felt she didn't deserve to take the counsellor's time up, it is not the percieved size or scale of a problem that makes it a problem, it is the way in which it manifests, the effect it has on your life that makes the difference.

And anyway, you're the one who'll have to del with me when I plummet into the depths of despair again!! Not today though - today I have a Nat to look forward to!

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Good grief!

*consider
*recently
*deal

You'd never guess I'm an editor from that comment would you!