Sunday 27 January 2008

Ranting Rebirth

(Photo - a previous Subway Commercial)

How evil are adverts?!


I have always known there must be some spawn of satan hidden behind most adverts, but some are just disgusting. Steve has a marketing degree or two and openly admits that people in marketing and advertising have no care for human kind.



I have noticed several examples of this, but I thought I would just share the one from todays adventures. We decided, well I say we, I decided and steve was forced to come with me despite feeling poorly and having a sore shin (I don't know)! Anyway, I decided to take a walk to the mini tesco to get my ingredients for my nigella day. I could quite easily get all the ingredients from the corner shop, which steve did notice and then winged about for the 2 mile walk to tesco! On our way, during steve winging about being hungry, we stopped into subway.


Now, as far as I know, subway pride themselves as being the 'healthier' fast food option. In America they use previously obese people to advertise their products, "Look, I'm not a fat mess anymore!" They seem to say. It does depend what you order, and how good you are at saying no. For example, I asked for a 6 inch turkey salad, on honey and oat bread, no cheese. The less than intelligent counter assistant said, "No cheese!" "No Cheese," I replied. After a puzzled look she put the turkey pieces onto the bread. "Salad?" she ugged at me, "Tomatoes, cucmber and lettuce please," was my healthy option. "Pickles, olives, gerkins, onions, peppers . . ." It went on, "No thanks, just those." "No gerkins? Black olives? onions?" Feeling slightly irritated now, I gave in, "Ok, a little bit of gerkin please." "Olives then?" What was this woman on?! "No, gerkins please," I replied and proceeded to watch her lather gerkins all over my salad - so much for "a little bit."


"Any sauce, mayonnaise?" she continued. "No thanks, just as it is." Steve was having similar issues on his three meat and cheese monster. "No mayonnaise?" "No." Politeness was going swiftly out of the window. Her confused, neanderthal like face said it all. She continued to anger me further, "Anyfink else? Any cakes, biscuits, drinks . . ." "NO!!!" I myy have said, but instead I was angered by something completely different.


This is were my hate of advertisers and marketers was reborn. Alongside the till, as in most fat food emporiums, was a cake display. It had the usual, danish swirls, choc-chip muffins, glazed doughnuts, nothing that looked particularly appetising. Along the edges of each shelf were little slogan type things designed to sell. Fair enough, I am aware that is their purpose, but the one that really got me was . . . ."C'mon, one won't hurt!" That, I thought, was completely and untterly irresponsible.


Firstly, they are promoting themselves as a healthier option, therefore should not be having cakes at the till. The fact that they are aiming themselves at total fatties that wish to shead the pounds, means they are aiming at people who are significantly weakened when it comes to food. They are aiming at people who do not necessarily have control. They are aiming at people who are more than likely to pick up a bloody doughnut at the counter. So to put, "C'mon, one won't hurt!" is appualing. They are doing the larger side of the public a disservice. One will hurt if it's every day! They have a 'healthy' sub menu, and reduced cost sandwiches everyday, so yes, people who are so weak to believe their promises will eat there. Will go and grab their lunch there. And will, inevitably, believe the, "One won't hurt phrase." Not good.


Maybe I am going a little OTT, but its all so unneccessary. There is a reason western civilisation is becoming obese. Life is all about convenince but as well all about having what 'you deserve'. In other words, whatever the hell you like. Unfortunately, that is not really an option if you wish to stay healthy. Everything in moderation with a good dollop of exercise thrown in. That is the answer.


Another example of marketing targeting the vulnerable is with baby products. Several ladies at work either are, or have recently been pregnant. Kate in particlar was telling me about her baby shopping. Now, unfortunately, Kate does not make millions. However, advertisers seem to think to have a baby you need to. She went to buy a matress for her new cot, however, as each mattress increased in price, it displayed even more options and extras to help with the comfort of your new baby. Now obviously, you want to do the best by your bouncing bundle of joy, you don't want to become paranoid with a 'bad mum' complex. So when buying a mattress which are you going to buy? The cheap one which is guaranteed to kill your child, or the one the price of a small country that will help it sleep, will insure it never cries, will make it clever and athletic, will make it popular and modest, the one that 'good' parents buy?! OK, slight exaggerations, but not by far! This is how marketers and advertisers make young mums feel.


I am aware that it is all about making money and money makes the world go round blah blah blah. Personally I think they are making a living by attacking the vulnerable and weak. Shame on them. Shame on them all.

No comments: