Wednesday 23 January 2008

Homey and Healthy?

I love my homey food. For all the thai, oriental and asian things I throw together, there is nothing more appetising, comforting and warming than something truly homey. I was thinking this today whilst eating my lunch time soup. Homemade soup this week - none of this heinz stuff (sorry heinz . . . . I still love you!). Roasted veg soup went as follows . . .

Roasted Veg Soup
1 sweet potato
3 parsnips
half a butternut squash
1 red onion
three good pinches of cumin seed
turmeric
smoked paprika
mild chili powder
honey
toasted sesame oil
2 pints chicken stock
1. Put chopped sweet potato and parsnips in one tin. sprinkle over the cumin seeds and a good sprinkling of turmeric - quite a thick layer.
2. Over the potatoe and parsnips squeeze a thin layer of honey.
3. In another tin put the chopped butternut squash and red onion. Sprinkle over a good layer of mild chili powder and smoked paprika, as well as a dribble of sesme oil.
4. Roast veg at the top of a very hot oven until edges of the veg start browning.
5. In a heavy sauce pan, boil the two pints of water, adding two chicken stock cubes.
6. when the veg is cooked, add everything to the stock. Use a couple of table spoons of stock in each backing tin to remove any veg and juices that may have stuck. Return this to the pan.
7. Simmer for a few minutes then use a hand blender to blitz.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
Lovely, warming and homey.
I haven't done the calorie count for this soup, its obviously not the lowest with the oil and honey, but my god it tastes good. It serves about 6 portions and is all I need to see me through from lunch until tea time.
As for my tea . . . I got my teriyaki!! Ok it wasn't chicken, it wasn't as beautifully constructed, but I enjoyed it. Tonight I marinaded salmon fillets in the teriyaki, garlic and a little mirin (Japanese sweet vinegary thing - much lighter than rice vinegar but add a good sticky coat). With potatoes chopped up small (so it looks like you've got more!) roasted in the oven, crunchy carrots and green beans, and a healthier version of my favourite cabbage dish - it was just what the doctor ordered! Again, quite homey but with a twist - posh fish and chips!
However, if I could have my way, this is how I love to cook cabbage:- Cook down with butter and nutmeg; add some scaps of crispy bacon, maybe some pine nuts of bits of walnuts; a splodge of cream or creme fraiche and voila!! I love it! But not particularly healthy. Maybe I will save up my calorie count for this!! Heehee!
Nx

No comments: